|Available in: Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, Developer, and Database.com Editions
Data Loader is a client application for the bulk import or export of data.
Use it to insert, update, delete, or export Salesforce records.
When importing data, Data Loader
and loads data from comma separated values (CSV) files or from a database
connection. When exporting data, it outputs CSV files.
You can use Data Loader
in two different ways:
- User interface—When you use the user interface, you work
interactively to specify the configuration parameters, CSV files used
for import and export, and the field mappings that map the field names
in your import file with the field names in Salesforce.
- Command line—When you use the command line, you specify
the configuration, data sources, mappings, and actions in files. This
enables you to set up Data Loader for automated
Data Loader offers the following key features:
- An easy-to-use wizard interface for interactive use
- An alternate command line interface for automated batch operations
- Support for large files with up to 5 million records
- Drag-and-drop field mapping
- Support for all objects, including custom objects
- Can be used to process data in both Salesforce and Database.com
- Detailed success and error log files in CSV format
- A built-in CSV file viewer
- Support for Windows 7
To get started, see the following topics: