Email Activity Format
The version 2 email activity, also known as send email activity, allows you to send email messages from within your journeys. This activity type cannot be used in a custom activity.
Existing version 1 email activities remain in the legacy format and function as normal until they are edited. When a marketer edits and saves a send email activity, Journey Builder automatically upgrades the activity by mapping the data to the version 2 format.
The activity must be formatted as specified below. The following JSON object is included in the
activities array of a journey, as defined in the Journey Specification.
The email activity creates a triggered send which it uses during runtime to deliver the email message.
- When a journey is unpublished, the triggered send is set to inactive.
- If the activity is republished, the triggered send is reactivated to keep reporting numbers for accurate versions.
You can obtain the sender profile ID and delivery profile ID by going to Email Studio > Admin > Delivery Settings.
The email you configure for use with this activity must meet the following Marketing Cloud delivery standards:
- Contain a Profile Center link
- Pass validations
- Contain only valid AmpScript and SSJS
- Must not contain any errors
If an exception occurs while publishing the journey containing an invalid email, the errors will display in the Journey Builder UI.