+ Start a Discussion
Morgan MarcheseMorgan Marchese 

Outbound Messages are not being Queued/Sent even though WFR is Triggering

We created our first outbound message WFR in our Production environment to send some account information to an external source URL whenever a custom object (Account Administration) is created or edited. I know that the workflow rule is firing, because I checked the developer console log AND I also added an email alert to the WFR to email myself when it triggers to verify, and I received the email every time.

However, no outbound message appears to be sent, even though one is setup, tied to an active WFR, and is being sent by an Active User with the System Administrator profile which I have confirmed also has the "Send Outbound Messages" flag set to TRUE in System Permissions.

As I have checked the entire process and everything seems to be correct, I am at a loss. I saw posts from other SFDC users that indicated that their issue ended up being that the profile didn't have the "Send Outbound Messages" permission, but I've confirmed that the "User to Send As" has system admin profile and definitely has that option enabled. I've even tried changing this to another user, including my own user and 2 different API users, to no avail.

Here is my WFR:

User-added image

Here is the Outbound Message:
User-added image

And Here is the User Setup/Profile of the Pipeline API User:

User-added image

Here is the Log out of the Developer Console showing the WFR Triggering and indicating 1 Outbound Message:

User-added image

I'm really at a loss here... the flow triggers, the outbound message is setup, and the user has access - but nothing shows up in my Outbound queue, not even any errors, and our developers report no attempts to ping their web service.

I opened a ticket with Salesforce support and was told that they would call me the next day to discuss it. When they finally did call me, all they did was tell me that I had to come here since it was outside of their scope of support. So here I am, grasping at straws, hoping someone can tell me what we've done wrong here or where to go next.

All of your input is appreciated!
Best Answer chosen by Morgan Marchese
Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher
A few things - some are obvious, some are not - just trying to cover all of the bases:

1) Do you have your endpoint in Remote Site Settings?
2) Can you set the endpoint in the WFR OB to a service such as http://requestb.in/?  When integrating with custom endpoints (presuming behind a firewall) a lot of things can throw a wrench in the works.  This way you can determine if it's salesforce.com or your custom web service that's the culprit.
3) Odds are you won't see much in the Queue - it goes so fast I rarely see anything I'm sending.  =)

All Answers

Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher
A few things - some are obvious, some are not - just trying to cover all of the bases:

1) Do you have your endpoint in Remote Site Settings?
2) Can you set the endpoint in the WFR OB to a service such as http://requestb.in/?  When integrating with custom endpoints (presuming behind a firewall) a lot of things can throw a wrench in the works.  This way you can determine if it's salesforce.com or your custom web service that's the culprit.
3) Odds are you won't see much in the Queue - it goes so fast I rarely see anything I'm sending.  =)
This was selected as the best answer
Morgan MarcheseMorgan Marchese
Hi Andy! Thanks for your assistance.

1. I did not know I needed to add anything to Remote Site Settings, did I miss that during the instructions/documentation on Outbound Messages or is it just not mentioned? (Regardless, I've now added the URL as a Remote Site) - Thanks!
2. I didn't even know requestb.in existed, and now that I do, I will be using that a lot going forward - thanks for that resource. I setup our OB to go to that site and tested it and it indeed IS sending and being received by RequestB.in - this points to an issue on the receiving end, which I will address with our developer.
3. I thought the same thing regarding the Queue, but being so unfamiliar with this process I wasn't sure if I should be seeing errors. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

- Morgan
Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher
The Remote Site Settings is more for APEX callouts - but in the spirit of making sure all bases are covered I always put stuff in there too for Outbound Messages.

Requestb.in is a life saver.  You're welcome.  =)