Force.com Explorer screenshot
The Force.com Explorer (beta) is a new cross-platform Force.com database explorer built with Adobe Flash Builder for Force.com. It's an AIR app, so you can get started pretty quickly: click here to install.
Please send us feedback on improvements you'd like to see. Be gentle, it's still in beta! You can find a list of known issues below. If you discuss it in the discussion boards, please make sure to include "Force.com Explorer" in the title (or tag) so that we can find the posts.
So what does it do?
This handy tool lets you browse your database schema, custom objects and fields, and build and test SOQL queries. It can also generate a simple schema report.
- Make sure you have Adobe AIR installed
- Then download the latest release of Force.com Explorer
The current version is 0.58A - last updated in October 2011 to fix an error that arose with an update to AIR in mid October. You can download the previous version, 0.58, here.
- Management of static resources does not work as expected. Sometimes when trying to upload a file, an error is displayed that the file name has illegal characters. If the upload appears to be successful, going into the org and examining the resource shows that it was not uploaded correctly.
- Returned error messages are generic; they will be more specific to the exact nature of the problem in the future.
- Does not work properly with Adobe Air 3.0 upgrade. You are able to see list of Salesforce objects, but when you expand the Fields for an object, you get an error and do not see the fields.
Resolved Issues: Version 0.5.8
Adobe's upgrade to AIR 3.0 broke Force.com Explorer, so we published a minor fix, 0.5.8A to resolve the issue. The user can also rollback the version of AIR being used to resolve the issue as well.
Resolved Issues: Version 0.5.6
Some people can't login. Especially when swapping environments (ie. production -> sandbox). We think there's a bug in the login logic that holds the state over from one session to another. Try restarting the app, and making sure to hit "Okay" on login settings.
On some platforms, the Force.com Explorer downloads the .air file as a .zip file. You'll need to rename it to .air before it will be recognised by Adobe AIR.
Aggregation queries aren't working due to an "Id" field being inserted.
Resolved Issues: Version 0.5.4
Made the login options less ambiguous
Resolved Issues: Version 0.5.2 & 0.5.3
Not displaying list of fields for objects with lots of fields.
Exceptions are occurring when querying objects with more than 2000 records. You can use the LIMIT SOQL query to limit the query result.
Resolved Issues: Version 0.5.1
Uncaught Server Exceptions are occurring on objects that have formulas, especially those with HYPERLINK formulas.
Multiple login buttons
Exceptions provided no additional data about the exception
Fields and child relationships not sorted
Force.com Explorer is based on the original Apex Explorer, a .NET application. With the AIR version, we've given it a face-lift as well as added new functionality.
We'll be updating Force.com Explorer periodically. Please subscribe to the Developer Force blog if you want to stay up to date.